What is a boot knife?
A boot knife or a gambler’s knife as it is sometimes called is a small fixed blade knife that is specifically designed to be carried in or on a boot. When you buy a boot knife, it comes with a sheath that includes some form of a clip. The blade of a boot knife is usually double edged that is about 3-5 inches long. And because of its size, boot knives are very easy to conceal, very handy and most off all, one of the best survival tools to have which can be used in a lot of different ways.
There are many reasons why people carry boot knives. But more often than not, they use these boot knives as a backup blade and are only used as a last resort most especially in terms of defense or for use in hiking and camping type situations.
3 Things to Consider When Buying a Boot Knife
When ordering or purchasing your own boot knife, these are the things you need to consider.
- The Size of the Knife– The size of the blade and the number of blades you are going to need is the first thing that you must consider if you are planning to buy your very own boot knife. This will help you narrow down the knife or knives that you are looking for. It is true that all boot knives are designed to be small, but some boot knives are much smaller than others. And if you want to conceal your boot knife as much as possible, then, the smaller the knife, the easier to hide.
- The Material Used In Making The Knife – for safety and durability concerns, the materials that were used in making the boot knife is very important. So taking them into consideration is a must.
- The Price of the Knife – choosing a boot knife can be tricky. That is why setting the price range that you will be spending on a boot knife will help you narrow the lists of blades even further.
Bellow are 3 of the best boot knives on the market today. All of which can be categorized as a boot knife as well as an everyday carry knife (EDC).
You can check these boot knives at Amazon.
3 of the Best Boot Knives
- DIMENSIONS: 9 inch (22.9 cm) overall length with a blade length of 4.7 inches (12.1 cm) and a weight of 7.7 ounces
- DURABLE: Blade is made of reliable 7Cr17MoV High Carbon S.S. with a black rubber wrapped handle
- DEPENDABLE: Quick and easy access with the convenient belt or boot sheath
- SECURE: Have confidence that the blade will not slip with the security of the hand guard
- BE PREPARED: Knife features a blood groove and lanyard hole
Pros and Cons Of The Smith & Wesson HRT9B
- Hand Guard
- Blood Groove and a Lanyard Hole
- Rubber wrapped handle
- Double edged
- Tips is fragile
A Closer Look At The Smith & Wesson HRT9B
- The Blade
Made from a lightweight tactical blade, the Smith & Wesson HRT9B boot knife was designed to be the perfect knife for concealment. It weighs just about 7 ounces and measures around 9 inches long. The design of the sheath of the blade is very versatile. You can carry it on your waist or conceal it in your boot as a self-defense weapon.
- The Hand Guard
The hand guard of the S&W is also a great added feature of this boot knife. The hand guard keeps your fingers safe from the sharp blade and also contributes greatly to how well the knife can be handled.
- The Cost and Value of the Knife
As far as boot knives and EDC knives go, the S&W is one of the most affordable in the market today. Typically, knives of this design are priced just like half tang knives. But the S&W is a full tang, well designed and crafted boot knife – a great value for your money.
- A fixed blade tactical knife featuring two edges and one solid piece of hot forged steel
- A tough spear point blade begins life as an ordinary blank of 1050 carbon steel
- A black non-reflective powder coat finish to resist corrosion in tactical environments
- Handle is perfectly contoured to fit your bare or gloved hand and is well balance with thumb detents for grip
- Custom nylon-stitched sheath with a glass reinforced nylon insert and strapping options
- Weight: 7.4 ounces
- Blade Length: 3.19 inches
Pros and Cons of the Columbia River Knife
- One solid piece
- Non-reflective powder coat
- Contoured Handle
- Bare Handle
- Slippery when wet
A closer look at the Columbia River Knife
- The Blade
The blade of this boot knife is made from a 1050 carbon steel. The one piece steel blade design of the Columbia makes it incredibly durable. It can take abuse as well as give serious damage or injury when used as a self defense weapon. The black powder finish that makes this knife non-reflective also helps prevent the knife from rusting.
- The Sheath
The Columbia comes with a nylon sheath with a glass reinforcement insert. There are no straps on the back of this sheath but it has a lanyard hole so that you can wear it in your neck or attach it to a lanyard.
- Cost and Value
Since this boot knife is made from a very durable material, the cost is also a bit higher compared to the other boot knives in the market. But do not be discouraged by its price tag. In the long run, and because of its durability, you will be saving a lot more because the Columbia will outlast all the other boot knives that were made using lower quality materials.
- 5-Inch overall length
- 2-1/2-Inch blade length
- Anodized AUS-6 Black coated stainless steel blade
- Impact resistant TPR handle
- Laces up for easy concealment on boots or packs
A Closer Look at the United Combat Commander Boot Knife
- The Blade
The blade of the United Combat has two sharpened edges that are partially serrated. The blood groove that was also incorporated in the design of this boot knife makes this knife pretty lethal even for its small size. The handle of the United Combat, which measures to about 2.5 inches, is equipped with a hand guard and textured grip for a better handling capacity.
- The Sheath
The UCC is virtually undetectable when concealed under a shirt or inside a boot. This is because this sheath of this knife was specifically designed and engineered for concealment and discreetness. The holes on the sheath of this knife help you lace up the knife into your boot easily and safely. The lanyard attached to the sheath can also be removed or used to wear around your neck.
- Cost and Value
Because of its relatively small size, the United Combat is not an ideal EDC tool. But in terms of being a boot knife, well, that is a different story. The size and the versatile sheath of the United Combat makes this knife the perfect boot knife to carry as well as a great back-up knife that you can use in the wilderness or even at home. The cost of this boot knife is also relatively cheap. At just over $11.00, you can own a well designed and quality boot knife.
If you are looking for a boot knife that you can carry with you every day and is right up your budget alley, then these 3 boot knives are worth your consideration. These knives are not only well designed but the materials that were used in forging the blades are all of superb and excellent quality. You will never go wrong in choosing one of these boot knives.
A friendly advice when buying a boot knife: do a little research on the one that you’re planning to purchase. A quick Google search about the product will go a long way. Also, it is wise to check local laws on knives in your area before buying a knife: folding knives with blades that are no longer than 7 inches are mostly legal. However, it should serve you best to check your local laws on carrying knives on your person or vehicle.
The post Boot Knife: The Blade Designed to Be Carried in Your Boot appeared first on Survival, Prepping, Homesteading Skills For Everyday Folk.
Please Help Support BeforeitsNews by trying our Natural Health Products below!
Order by Phone at 888-809-8385 or online at https://mitocopper.com M - F 9am to 5pm EST
Order by Phone at 888-388-7003 or online at https://www.herbanomic.com M - F 9am to 5pm EST
Order by Phone at 888-388-7003 or online at https://www.herbanomics.com M - F 9am to 5pm EST
Humic & Fulvic Trace Minerals Complex - Nature's most important supplement! Vivid Dreams again!
HNEX HydroNano EXtracellular Water - Improve immune system health and reduce inflammation
Ultimate Clinical Potency Curcumin - Natural pain relief, reduce inflammation and so much more.
pathogens and gives you more
energy. (See Blood Video)
Oxy Powder - Natural Colon Cleanser! Cleans out toxic buildup with oxygen!
Nascent Iodine - Promotes detoxification, mental focus and thyroid health.
Smart Meter Cover - Reduces Smart Meter radiation by 96%! (See Video)
Immusist Beverage Concentrate - Proprietary blend, formulated to reduce inflammation while hydrating and oxygenating the cells.