When does it happen?
Where does it happen?
Top foods to eat at Oktoberfest
- ötchen are basically little seafood sliders, usually using fish, shrimp, or crab.
- Spätzle - you’re probably pretty familiar with this grated, boiled dough, though probably not the way they serve it in Munich: in a heaping helping and topped with fried onions and/or bacon, or even smothered in cheese.
- Weisswurst – a white sausage made from minced veal and pork back bacon and various seasonings. Served in a pair in a pot of hot water with a pretzel, mustard, and a wheat beer.
How to save money
- My number one tip for saving money is by limiting your beer consumption. This might be a bit easier for grown-ups who don’t tend to go to pound drinks back to get as drunk as possible. A liter of beer can run you $10-13, but they also tend to have double the alcohol content of regular American beers (6% vs 3%). Bring along water to stay hydrated. You can purchase it there, but it will still run you about $7/liter.
- Try to hit up the festival on the weekdays, as it will be easier to find a seat in a tent than on the weekend, especially if there are only a few of you. Weekends are always the most popular days.
- Only bring the amount of money you want to spend, because it can be easy to lose track of your purchases. This makes it easier to budget.
- Stay outside of Munich or look for an affordable Airbnb on the outskirts, because the closer you get to Theresienwiese (the park it takes place in), the more premium the rates. Train travel is convenient and can be a lot more affordable if you’re trying to save money.
- Food portions are large, so look to split meals. Unless you’re starving, you’ll find it difficult to finish some of these entrees. You can always supplement with pretzels, which will also help you soak up some of that beer you’ve been imbibing in.
- Drink responsibly. You already know this. Remember your limits. Remember to eat (and drink water!). Remember your budget. If you find yourself doing poorly, there are recovery tents available that help hundreds of people every day.
- Don’t bring all your money. Bring cash, but bring just as much as you plan to spend, so you can’t go overboard, but also because if you get robbed, you won’t be screwed for the rest of your trip.
- Beer tents all have their own serveware. Do not take the steins/mugs. This is a crime. There are plenty for sale throughout the event to take home as souvenirs.
- Know your way around. Make sure to do your research, so you know how to get back to the train station and your hotel/rental. Keep a backup battery on you, because you don’t want to get lost without a phone that could have all your important info in it. Get a multi-day train ticket and save yourself some money and hassle.
- Agree on a meeting point if you separate. There can be up to 600,000 people there at times. That’s a lot of people, so don’t lose your important people.
- Carry your money, phone, ID and hotel key on you. Large bags are not allowed inside, so make sure you adhere to the rules.
- Bring all your belongings with you if you leave the beer tent. Often you can’t get back inside, due to crowds.
- Never leave your drink unattended. Someone could slip something into your beer in an instant. This happens everywhere. If someone buys you a drink (score!) make sure you are there when the waitress brings it.
Want to read more tips for traveling worldwide on a budget? Check out my blog at Shereen Travels Cheap or find me on Facebook or Twitter. You’ll also find product and website suggestions, packing tips, current deals and a whole lot more to help you travel better for less!
Please Help Support BeforeitsNews by trying our Natural Health Products below!
Order by Phone at 888-809-8385 or online at https://mitocopper.com M - F 9am to 5pm EST
Order by Phone at 888-809-8385 or online at https://www.herbanomic.com M - F 9am to 5pm EST
Humic & Fulvic Trace Minerals Complex - Nature's most important supplement! Vivid Dreams again!
Ultimate Clinical Potency Curcumin - Natural pain relief, reduce inflammation and so much more.
pathogens and gives you more
energy. (See Blood Video)
Oxy Powder - Natural Colon Cleanser! Cleans out toxic buildup with oxygen!
Nascent Iodine - Promotes detoxification, mental focus and thyroid health.
Smart Meter Cover - Reduces Smart Meter radiation by 96%! (See Video)
Immusist Beverage Concentrate - Proprietary blend, formulated to reduce inflammation while hydrating and oxygenating the cells.