If you’re familiar with Greek cuisine, then you’ve heard of Stifado. It’s a slow cooked dish usually containing lots of onions, spices and either rabbit or hare. In modern Greek cooking, beef or veal have also become a favourites.
Like many cuisines, there are regional differences and such is the case with this Cretan inspired Chestnut Stifado. There’s chestnuts, lots of onions, earthy mushrooms and chunks of sweet potatoes.
Tomatoes, wine and spices round out the flavours and are the backbone of this rich sauce. A filling vegetarian dish that will surprise you with it’s complex flavours, despite being such an easy dish.
To speed up preparation of the dish, look for vacuum packed roasted and cooked chestnuts at your local supermarket. Great as a snack or…a stifado!
- Place a deep, wide skillet on your stovetop over medium-high heat, add 1/4 cup olive oil and once hot, saute the small onions until lightly browned. Now add the sliced onion, chestnuts, mushrooms and garlic and turn down the heat to medium. Add some salt and pepper and cook for 5-6 minutes while stirring occasionally.
- Add the sweet potatoes, tomato paste, tomato passata and stir in. Add the wine, bay leaves, allspice, a bit more salt and pepper and stir in.
- Add remaining olive oil, enough hot water to almost cover all the ingredients. Once the contents have just returned to a boil, adjust heat to a simmer and cover. Cook for 30 minutes.
- Uncover, check that onions and sweet potatoes are cooked by piercing with a fork. If not, cook another 10 minutes and add water if needed (covered).
- Uncover, if the sauce is thick, take off the heat and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. If soupy, cook uncovered another 5-10 minutes. You may now add a splash of red wine vinegar if you like a bit of tang to your dish.
- Divide and serve with lots of crusty bread.
Tip: you can use equal amounts of pumpkin or butternut squash instead of sweet potato
© 2020, Peter Minaki. All rights reserved.
Please Help Support BeforeitsNews by trying our Natural Health Products below!
Order by Phone at 888-809-8385 or online at https://mitocopper.com M - F 9am to 5pm EST
Order by Phone at 888-809-8385 or online at https://www.herbanomic.com M - F 9am to 5pm EST
Humic & Fulvic Trace Minerals Complex - Nature's most important supplement! Vivid Dreams again!
HNEX HydroNano EXtracellular Water - Improve immune system health and reduce inflammation
Ultimate Clinical Potency Curcumin - Natural pain relief, reduce inflammation and so much more.
Oxy Powder - Natural Colon Cleanser! Cleans out toxic buildup with oxygen!
Nascent Iodine - Promotes detoxification, mental focus and thyroid health.
Smart Meter Cover - Reduces Smart Meter radiation by 96%! (See Video)