Have you heard of Gnocchi? Those are potato pasta (dumplings) that are easy to make, light and pillowy.
Well, there’s also Gnudi, which are Ricotta cheese-based Gnocchi and also easy to make, If you follow my tips below:
- Buy quality ricotta cheese and strain the excess water overnight
- Use cold fine grated cheese
- cold egg
The key is straining any excess water from the ricotta – that way you will not have to use more flour to bind your mixture.
With a little prep (straining the ricotta overnight), the rest is really easy and you’ll be rewarded with a light, pillow-like Gnudi that will make you a star in the eyes of your dinner guests.
Oh, you can tell them where you got the recipe (smiles).
I’ve paired the Gnudi with a simple tomato-basil sauce, many serve Gnudi with brown butter and sage and a few years ago I shared a Gnudi recipe with a crispy Chorizo, Mushroom and Sage.
Gnudi With Tomato Basil Sauce
1/2 cup grated Parmesan (cold) + extra for topping the dish
2 cups ricotta, strained (cold)
1 large egg (cold)
3/4 tsp. sea salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/2 cup all-purpose flour (plus extra for dusting)
- Into a large bowl, add the cold grated Parmesan plus the ricotta, your egg, salt and pepper.
- Mix with a spatula until just combined. Now add your flour in increments, using your hand to mix.
- Take a cookie sheet and sprinkle generously with flour. Using your hands, roll the dough into golf ball sized balls (or use a cooking scooper).
- Place on your baking sheet, gently roll in the flour and sprinkle more flour if needed. You should yield 20-24 Gnudi.
- Place your tray of Gnudi in the fridge for at least 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make one recipe of tomato-basil sauce.
- Place a large pot of water on your stove top and bring up to a boil. Add salt to the water and when the water returns to a boil, carefully place half of the gnudi in the water. Reheat your sauce.
- They will take about 3-5 minutes to cook (and float to the top). Use a slotted spoon to remove the gnudi from the water and transfer to your plates.
- Top with tomato-basil sauce, grated cheese and basil leaves for garnish and serve.
Storing Gnudi: You can make a day ahead and place in the fridge or place the tray of gnudi in the freezer. Once frozen place in a large zip-lock bag. You can boil from frozen and they will take 5-7 minutes.
Alternate Shape: You can shape Gnudi like Gnocchi by roll into 1/2 rope and cut into 1 inch pieces, toss in flour before boiling.
© 2021, Peter Minaki. All rights reserved.
Please Help Support BeforeitsNews by trying our Natural Health Products below!
Order by Phone at 888-809-8385 or online at https://mitocopper.com M - F 9am to 5pm EST
Order by Phone at 888-809-8385 or online at https://www.herbanomic.com M - F 9am to 5pm EST
Humic & Fulvic Trace Minerals Complex - Nature's most important supplement! Vivid Dreams again!
HNEX HydroNano EXtracellular Water - Improve immune system health and reduce inflammation
Ultimate Clinical Potency Curcumin - Natural pain relief, reduce inflammation and so much more.
pathogens and gives you more
energy. (See Blood Video)
Oxy Powder - Natural Colon Cleanser! Cleans out toxic buildup with oxygen!
Nascent Iodine - Promotes detoxification, mental focus and thyroid health.
Smart Meter Cover - Reduces Smart Meter radiation by 96%! (See Video)
Immusist Beverage Concentrate - Proprietary blend, formulated to reduce inflammation while hydrating and oxygenating the cells.