The International Association of Food Protection (IAFP) has opened a nomination period for candidates from the government sector to serve as IAFP Secretary during 2023-2024.
The elected Secretary serves a five-year term on the IAFP Executive Board. The deadline for nominations is Tuesday, Oct. 11, 2022.
Candidate Information for the Office of Secretary:
- Running for office involves a five-year commitment to the International Association for Food Protection. The first year consists of serving as Secretary. In the following years, they advance to Vice President, President-Elect, and then President. They serve as Past President during their final year on the Executive Board.
- Once elected, the incoming Secretary should attend all Board meetings at the next Annual Meeting. Typically, the Board meets on Friday (all day) preceding the Annual Meeting. They will officially take office at the close of Wednesday night’s Awards Banquet, but it is expected that they will attend and observe all Board meetings held during the Annual Meeting. This provides important experience and reduces the learning curve on becoming informed about Board business. In addition to other required meetings during the Annual Meeting, the (new) Board meets on Thursday morning (through 1:00 PM) following the conclusion of the Annual Meeting.
- Travel expenses are paid by the Association to attend all Executive Board meetings except for Board meetings at the Annual Meeting. Travel expenses and registration fees are not paid for Executive Board Members to attend the Annual Meeting. Extra room nights required for Board Members to attend Board meetings at the Annual Meeting will be provided at Association expense (this is typically Thursday and Friday night preceding the Annual Meeting).
- The Executive Board customarily meets four times a year. Board meetings are usually one to two days in length. Spring and fall Board meetings are normally held in Des Moines at the Association office. The winter meeting is held at the location of the next Annual Meeting as is the summer Board meeting.
- Attendance at all Executive Board meetings is required. Each meeting has a full agenda and materials are distributed prior to the meeting. It is each Board Member’s responsibility to become familiar with the agenda items prior to the Board meeting.
- During their year as President, among other duties, they write a column for publication in Food Protection Trends (normally, 6 columns in the Presidential year).
- If available, they may be invited to speak at IAFP Affiliate meetings (both in the USA and internationally). IAFP is willing to pay the airfare expense to send them to these meetings and the Affiliate group pays the local hotel, transportation and food expenses.
- Organized campaigning for election to the IAFP Secretary position is discouraged. Of course, they can encourage their friends and colleagues to vote for them, but further solicitation becomes a hindrance to the process.
- The Association Policy and Procedures manual is provided to the new Secretary and an orientation visit to the Des Moines office will be scheduled with the Executive Director. The orientation session needs to take place before the Annual Meeting and will familiarize the new Secretary with the operations of the Association. They will meet the staff and be introduced to the various work performed at the IAFP office. The orientation will provide critical information that enables them to make informed decisions in their role on the Executive Board.
Nominators can forward a letter of nomination and a biographical sketch via email to:
Nominating Committee Chair
c/o David Tharp, [email protected]
International Association for Food Protection
(To sign up for a free subscription to Food Safety News, click here.)
Please Help Support BeforeitsNews by trying our Natural Health Products below!
Order by Phone at 888-809-8385 or online at https://mitocopper.com M - F 9am to 5pm EST
Order by Phone at 866-388-7003 or online at https://www.herbanomic.com M - F 9am to 5pm EST
Order by Phone at 866-388-7003 or online at https://www.herbanomics.com M - F 9am to 5pm EST
Humic & Fulvic Trace Minerals Complex - Nature's most important supplement! Vivid Dreams again!
HNEX HydroNano EXtracellular Water - Improve immune system health and reduce inflammation
Ultimate Clinical Potency Curcumin - Natural pain relief, reduce inflammation and so much more.
pathogens and gives you more
energy. (See Blood Video)
Oxy Powder - Natural Colon Cleanser! Cleans out toxic buildup with oxygen!
Nascent Iodine - Promotes detoxification, mental focus and thyroid health.
Smart Meter Cover - Reduces Smart Meter radiation by 96%! (See Video)