Appalachian Voices, in coordination with the Energy Justice NC Coalition, is hiring a Project Coordinator to assist in the development of a “People’s Energy Plan” for the state of North Carolina. The People’s Energy Plan, which will be developed with local, statewide, and national partners, is a grassroots effort to create a platform for systemic energy market reform that is rooted in social justice and supported by diverse stakeholders that have not traditionally had a voice in energy policy debates.
Energy Justice North Carolina (EJNC) is a coalition of state, local, and national organizations that believe equity must be at the heart of climate and energy policy, starting with the policymaking process itself. All members of the EJNC steering committee have an equal voice in coalition decision-making. While this position will be hired by and report to Appalachian Voices, the work will be carried out in close collaboration with EJNC coalition members and a growing network of other organizations that are committed to participating in the People’s Energy Plan.
Based in: Raleigh/Durham, NC (Remote Possible)
Name of Direct Supervisor: Josh McClenney, Energy Democracy Field Coordinator – North Carolina
Compensation: $20/hour, 20 hours week, 1 year term. Compensation range based on final terms of position.
North Carolina’s energy system is outdated. Investor owned-utilities like Duke and Dominion Energy prioritize enriching their shareholders over meeting the needs of the people and communities they serve, while public utilities like rural electric cooperatives and municipal utilities are often equally unaccountable.
The North Carolina “People’s Energy Plan” is a collaborative project of racial, social, and environmental justice advocates across NC that aims to change this structure by developing an equitable, inclusive, and community-based vision for a new energy system that invests in communities and reduces both poverty and pollution. The outcomes of this project will include not only the publication of a policy platform for energy market reform that is developed and supported by diverse voices and impacted community members, but will be designed from the start to also build relationships, understanding and trust among these many stakeholders.
The vision for developing this plan includes three phases. The first is a series of public listening sessions and town hall meetings across North Carolina to identify energy reform priorities that will form the basis of a People’s Energy Plan. These events will center the voices of frontline communities, including low-income ratepayers, BIPOC communities, workers, and other groups that have been most harmed by fossil fuels and climate-related disasters in the state. Additionally, the People’s Energy Plan development will be both informed by and coordinated with similar efforts that are occuring in neighboring states like Tennessee, South Carolina and Virginia, including sharing resources and creating opportunities for skills sharing with other regional partners.
The second phase will entail the co-creation of an energy policy platform with coalition members, community leaders, and policy experts, while the third phase will focus on enacting the platform into law. The ideal candidate will be able to play a role in all three phases of this project, furthering skills in workshop facilitation, policy development, and legislative advocacy.
Breakdown of Responsibilities
- Coordinating social media and outreach strategy with local, statewide, and national partners.
- The creation of graphics, marketing, and/or promotional materials to help with outreach across various multimedia platforms.
- Work to develop and maintain relationships with members of the media.
- Help identify community leaders across the state to help envision, create, and advocate on behalf of clean energy policies.
- Conduct and facilitate visioning workshops in various communities across the state.
- Send reminders for biweekly coalition meetings and ensure that notes are distributed to all applicable parties.
- To the extent necessary, work with partners in other states to help coordinate broader national messaging around a just transition and the need for equitable energy policy.
- Ability to work with relative independence
- Effective at building and maintaining relationships amongst diverse groups and individuals
- Knowledge or experience in environmental work or community justice work.
- Interest/general knowledge in electric utility reform and a just transition to 100% clean energy a plus
- Familiarity with basic webpage management, including WordPress.
- Committed to environmental and racial justice issues in the South
- Basic knowledge of digital organizing, and/or eagerness to learn more
- Ability to problem solve and think critically
- Interest in learning about non-profit work and structure
- Ability to work effectively within a team environment
- Writing/editing ability a plus
- Sense of humor, ability to be flexible and learn new skills is necessary
- Bilingual (Spanish) a strong plus
We recognize that individuals gain experience and knowledge through a variety of different ways and mediums and encourage those who have not been paid advocates in the past to apply
Please send resume and cover letter to [email protected], Attn: Josh. Reference information is welcomed but not required.
Protecting the Central and Southern Appalachian Mountain Region
Please Help Support BeforeitsNews by trying our Natural Health Products below!
Order by Phone at 888-809-8385 or online at https://mitocopper.com M - F 9am to 5pm EST
Order by Phone at 888-388-7003 or online at https://www.herbanomic.com M - F 9am to 5pm EST
Order by Phone at 888-388-7003 or online at https://www.herbanomics.com M - F 9am to 5pm EST
Humic & Fulvic Trace Minerals Complex - Nature's most important supplement! Vivid Dreams again!
HNEX HydroNano EXtracellular Water - Improve immune system health and reduce inflammation
Ultimate Clinical Potency Curcumin - Natural pain relief, reduce inflammation and so much more.
pathogens and gives you more
energy. (See Blood Video)
Oxy Powder - Natural Colon Cleanser! Cleans out toxic buildup with oxygen!
Nascent Iodine - Promotes detoxification, mental focus and thyroid health.
Smart Meter Cover - Reduces Smart Meter radiation by 96%! (See Video)
Immusist Beverage Concentrate - Proprietary blend, formulated to reduce inflammation while hydrating and oxygenating the cells.